I have been thinking a lot lately about what would it take to make our government work more efficiently, less costly and more attendant to the wishes of the people, not the politicians. Here’s what I have come up with:
1. End the policy of writing Bills that are so full of words that can be understood in different meanings, depending on who is defining the meaning of the Bill. And end the Pork that adds too much financial pain to our citizens! When a Bill is written it should be done in basic, easily understood language, such as “The Military needs funding for tactical weapons; $50,000 will be used for research and development of new weapons. $1,000,000 will be used to build and deliver those weapons. This money cannot be used for any other program other than to develop, produce and deliver the needed weapons.” Any Member of Congress, the Administration or President that is caught making efforts to change the stated meaning of the Bill after it is passed will be held responsible for their actions and removed from our government!
2. All who are involved in our government, on every level, will be paid their current wage, with no increases allowed without voters’ approval. And they shall have no benefits that are better than, or more costly than the average working American’s benefits. And any person involved in our government that is found to be accepting outside money, or benefits from any group, person or agency shall be impeached or fired and shall spend a minimum of five years in prison, with no future possibility of working with, or within any government agency again. The expenses of keeping a staff shall remain within a limited amount of money and every cent of that money shall be accurately accounted for, with no fraud or deceit, or the person responsible for those accounts shall be imprisoned.
3. Whenever an election is held, no public money should be allowed for anything except for assisting in the expenses of the candidate, to include only basic travel, food and hotel/motel expenses, and that money can only come from small donations of the public, with no donations or “free money” or support to be given by Special Interests or any other group or agency that seeks closeness with the candidate. And, as per the Communications Act of 1934, all advertising will be equal and free on radio and television stations which are supposed to hold the responsibility of “public interest, convenience and necessity” that is required when they obtain their Broadcast Licenses. The amount of time required from the stations will be equal and fair, with no political leaning of any kind by the station or management of the station. And any personal or group support advertising done for any candidate must be done on it’s own, with no ties to the candidates, of any kind, with criminal penalties for any violation.
4. Any Member of Congress must live within the District they represent, with a true home to be used as their primary home. No Member of Congress will be allowed to own a personal home in Washington, DC. The Federal Government shall create a “hotel-style” property to be used for Members of Congress only when they are needed in Washington, DC. Congress shall only meet for one week a month in Washington, DC, except for emergency situations. Transportation is easily available for any personal communications between Representatives, and necessary travel shall be part of an “Expense Account” set up for the basic necessities of the Members of Congress. Any personal trips to other countries that are not specifically for the Member of Congress to carry out Congressional business, and only legitimate Congressional Business, shall be at the personal expense of the Member of Congress, with no outside public money to be used. Any violation shall require criminal penalties.
5. The Constitution of the United States shall return to the basic, honorable stated necessities of the Constitution, with any future Amendments to be made only if ratified by a majority vote of the voting public of the citizens of the United States. No group of Members of Congress can ratify an Amendment on its own. Any violation of this regulation shall require criminal penalties.
These are just five basic ideas that I feel would help legitimize our government and end overspending and waste, power-hunger and greed, and bring strength and sanity back to our government! I have more ideas, as I am sure you do. But I don’t think these types of regulations will ever be a part of our government without a major change in the way it currently operates. Greed, Power-hunger and Self-interest is what drives our political leaders now, and the door will remain open for it as long as the people do not wake up to the necessity of true change in the way our government operates! Can it ever happen? I honestly don’t know, but I hope it can! But we must all work to push our politicians to stop seeking their own interests and start working as the servants of the people that they are supposed to be! We meed to end the domination of the Lawyer/Politicians we have in office now and begin replacing them with Veterans, Business owners and individuals who seek the true needs of the people and stop the self-interested domination of political interests over our great nation! We may be the last generation to have the opportunity to change things back to the dreams of our Forefathers, and it is our responsibility to push back the fears of failure and work to achieve what we know is necessary!
WAKE UP AMERICANS, OR LOSE AMERICA!
Michael J. Kilgus